St. Mary's County, Maryland
Along with the entire area of Point Lookout the old lighthouse has been a focus of ghostly activity.
It was decided that a lighthouse was needed on Point Lookout in order to warn ships of the dangerous shoals and mark the entrance to the Potamac River. The lighthouse came to life on September 20, 1830.
James Davis was appointed by Andrew Jackson as the first keeper of the lighthouse. Unfortunately, Mr. Davis was not able to enjoy his duties for long. He died in the lighthouse on December 3, 1830. James' daughter Ann took up her father's duties as keeper. Ann was known as a likable woman, who would occasionaly fantasize about leaving the lighthouse to travel. But it was never to be...the lighthouse needed her, so Ann stayed. Ann never ventured far from Point Lookout and she passed away in 1847.
Succeeding the Davis family was William Wood. William was known as a comical character in the area. He was notoriously clumsy. In fact, he had his pay suspended for a year after he wound breaking nearly all of the lighthouse's mirrors. Despite his bad luck, William typically approached life with good humor and was known to give sanctuary to many lost cats and dogs in the area.
After Williams passing, the Edwards family became keepers of the lighthouse. Richard Edwards took the reigns as keeper of the lighthouse in 1853. Unfortunately, Richard became mysteriously ill and died at the lighthouse. Richard's daughter Pamelia then took on the role of 'keeper'. Pamelia maintained the lighthouse throughout the Civil War. During this time Point Lookout became a deadly prisoner of war camp holding up to 20,000 Confederate soldeirs. Pamelia took on some extra cash during the Civil War by setting up an area of the lighthouse to imprison soldeirs. Union soldeirs would use these special quarters to interrogate their prisoners. Interrogation typically involved various uses of torture. Pamelia and her assistant Elkanah Edwards regretted their decision after seeing the torture and deaths of Confederate prisoners taking place in the lighthouse. The guilt overwhelmed the pair, Pamelia and Elkanah helped to release the prisoners imprisoned at their home. They were then considered to be rebel sympathisers, but never formely.
Succeeding the Edwards family was William Yeatman. During his tenure as keeper William witnessed the horrific shipwreck of the steam ship Express in 1878. During a night of horrible storms the Express tried to make its way to the Potamac River, however it slammed apart in front of the lighthouse. Thirteen of the thirty two people on board survived the wreck.
As time passed the lighthouse was no longer needed and was decommisioned in 1966. However, many people believe that the past has kept the old lighthouse alive. There has been a number of paranormal events that happen at the lighthouse.
Many people have claimed to have heard the cries and voices of the Confederate soldiers that were once imprisoned there. Some have seen apparitions of the soldiers, they are bound and look to be beaten. A foul odor can be smelled at certain times in the rooms that the imprisoned soldiers once occupied.
Other ghosts seen at the lighthouse have been of people lost when the Express wrecked. One of the more common ghosts to be seen is a man that is seen with his head held down, soaked, sitting on the steps of the lighthouse. When people have approached him he suddenly raises his head and floats off into the bay.
The ghost of Ann Davis is said to haunt the lighthouse. Those that have seen her describe her wearing a white blouse and long blue skirt with a melancholy look on her face. Ann's ghost has also been seeing walking in the area around the lighthouse.
Not all ghosts of the lighthouse are frightening or sorrowful. The ghost of the clumsy and big hearted William Wood has been seen in the vicinity. He is known to wave to visitors of the lighthouse, and is often described as being surrounded by the towns stray dogs and cats.
1 comment(s) on this page. Add your own comment below.
Where on earth did you get your information for this article? I have been researching Point Lookout Lighthouse for 14 years (at the National Archives, Coast Guard, Mariner's Musuem, Center for Personnel Records, et al) and have never encountered any documentation to prove many of the statements made here. Ann Davis longed to travel? Maybe, but several men who visited the point said nice things about Ann so she could probably have married any of them and left had she wanted to travel. In particular, there are no records of Pamelia keeping prisoners; of the few records that have survived from that era, you could deduce that she was sympathetic to the south. And the room claimed to be the one that held prisoners during the war? It didn't exist until 1927 and the foul odor was only noted by one person living in the lighthouse in 1980, and it only lasted a few weeks. Martha Edwards took over from her father as keeper, then passed the job to Pamelia presumably due to Martha getting married. Pamelia kept the job until 1869, well after the Civil War. The biggest problem with articles like this is that one person has an experience and it then gets exaggerated into "many people".